CheckESNFree - Forum

Full Version: Verizon says phone is still active, badESN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my galaxy s3 broke, and I'm trying to buy another one on craigslist. I found one in new condition for a really good deal of $200, just with no battery or back, which I already have.
I haven't bought it yet, and I just want to make sure everything is good before I buy it. The problem is, when I check the ESN it comes up as not stolen or anything, but badESN though Verizon. From what I understand, this means the phone is still active on another account. I also called Verizon and had them check it, they told me the same thing: It is still active and I won't be able to activate it until it is deactivated on the other account. I told the seller this, but he insists I am wrong and that none of that matters as long as I put in my Verizon 4g sim card thing, I will be able to activate it fine on my account. I have done some researching and found lots of different answers, so I'm not sure what is true.
I am not sure if it is against the rules to post the ESN/IMEI in question.
My alternative is to pay Samsung $315 to have the phone repaired, would this be the better/safer option? or is the phone okay to buy?
I personally don't have experience with this specific issue, but I have seen it discussed before that if the MEID is tied to a bad account, they won't let it work with a valid/compatible SIM.

Others here may have more experience with this specific topic though, but if it were me, I wouldn't risk it in the event that in a week or so Verizon blocks the device.

Not to mention, he sounds shady. Tongue
(02-13-2014 02:57 PM)PattoX Wrote: [ -> ]So my galaxy s3 broke, and I'm trying to buy another one on craigslist. I found one in new condition for a really good deal of $200, just with no battery or back, which I already have.
I haven't bought it yet, and I just want to make sure everything is good before I buy it. The problem is, when I check the ESN it comes up as not stolen or anything, but badESN though Verizon. From what I understand, this means the phone is still active on another account. I also called Verizon and had them check it, they told me the same thing: It is still active and I won't be able to activate it until it is deactivated on the other account. I told the seller this, but he insists I am wrong and that none of that matters as long as I put in my Verizon 4g sim card thing, I will be able to activate it fine on my account. I have done some researching and found lots of different answers, so I'm not sure what is true.
I am not sure if it is against the rules to post the ESN/IMEI in question.
My alternative is to pay Samsung $315 to have the phone repaired, would this be the better/safer option? or is the phone okay to buy?

This is old but the seller is right. You do just put in your sim. The problem is it shouldn't show active on an account if the sim isn't in it. For instance If i buy a used verizon lte smartphone and I call verizon while the persons sim is still in it then they will say don't buy the phone its active on an account. If i take the sim out and call them they will say it looks fine not on any lost or stolen list...
I have seen a few Verizon LTE devices show cleanESN on the IMEI when a valid SIM is in the phone and being used, then I've seen IMEIs show badESN with and without SIM cards in them.

I don't really know how Verizon handles it, but to me it seems like if the IMEI is listed as the device on your Verizon account, it will show badESN, but if it isn't and your valid SIM is in the phone, it will show cleanESN for the IMEI.

Again, it seems to be a tricky situation with CDMA LTE devices.
Reference URL's