CheckESNFree - Forum

Full Version: Sprint now blocking financed phones?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyways, now the esn checker at another site shows weather sprint phones are being financed for instance this iphone 6 plus 354437065994747 Now that site no longer allows the sale of financed sprint phones. Is sprint now blocking financed phones for non payment? As long as you removed the phone, and replaced it with another it wouldn't get blocked. Does anybody have any more information about what's going on , and if sprint is changing their policy? thanks
See, that "other site" is working through Ting to validate Sprint ESNs.

The reason you see that message is because when the "other site" tries to do the ESN Validation for Sprint, it's doing a "mock activation" by trying to activate the device on Ting by migrating the ESN from SPCS to PLBL. The error message specifically is "INVALID_FIN_ELIGIBILITY_DATE: Device is not in good financial standing."

This alone would not lead me to believe the device can't be used by another customer, or that the device will be blocked internally on Sprint, but that Sprint isn't allowing the device to be eligible for migration to PLBL. This was also the case many years ago when Sprint started to allow Sprint devices to be used on these other BYOP carriers/resellers. (PLBL is where the Sprint MVNOs like Ting, Kajeet, RingPlus, etc, etc operate.)
(09-16-2015 10:48 AM)deathtrip Wrote: [ -> ]See, that "other site" is working through Ting to validate Sprint ESNs.

The reason you see that message is because when the "other site" tries to do the ESN Validation for Sprint, it's doing a "mock activation" by trying to activate the device on Ting by migrating the ESN from SPCS to PLBL. The error message specifically is "INVALID_FIN_ELIGIBILITY_DATE: Device is not in good financial standing."

This alone would not lead me to believe the device can't be used by another customer, or that the device will be blocked internally on Sprint, but that Sprint isn't allowing the device to be eligible for migration to PLBL. This was also the case many years ago when Sprint started to allow Sprint devices to be used on these other BYOP carriers/resellers. (PLBL is where the Sprint MVNOs like Ting, Kajeet, RingPlus, etc, etc operate.)

That makes since. Just weird they are trying to reduce the number of phones that can be sold on their website. Since T-Mobile has been the only one to block phones due to non payment by a matter of policy.
Do note, Sprint will "lock" the ESN/MEID/IMEI to an unpaid account. This has been a long standing practice for Sprint. Now, if Sprint won't allow the account to be closed out unless the device attached to the account is paid for, it will lock the ESN to the account. I don't know if you would be able to do an ESN swap and clear out the device's FED status.
(09-22-2015 11:03 AM)deathtrip Wrote: [ -> ]Do note, Sprint will "lock" the ESN/MEID/IMEI to an unpaid account. This has been a long standing practice for Sprint. Now, if Sprint won't allow the account to be closed out unless the device attached to the account is paid for, it will lock the ESN to the account. I don't know if you would be able to do an ESN swap and clear out the device's FED status.

They will "lock" the meid to an unpaid account if the meid is still associated with that account. You cannot swap out once the account has been locked. Are we saying the same thing here?? lol
I'm saying, I don't know if you have the ability to swap the device on the account WHILE it is still being financed. I don't know if they'd require you to pay off the device's balance before swapping it off the account, or if the device's balance stays with the account even if you swap the device off.

Sprint is a funny company and I personally will never do business with them again, ever.
(09-25-2015 10:03 AM)deathtrip Wrote: [ -> ]I'm saying, I don't know if you have the ability to swap the device on the account WHILE it is still being financed. I don't know if they'd require you to pay off the device's balance before swapping it off the account, or if the device's balance stays with the account even if you swap the device off.

Sprint is a funny company and I personally will never do business with them again, ever.

Well, you can swap a phone off any account as long as the account is active. Once that phone is activated onto another account it will never be blocked by Sprint because of the original debt, and that's all that matters to me.. Sprint isn't so bad once you figure out how they do things... I have an account so I can check each phone and make sure it can be added. You can never, ever believe anything a sprint rep tells you...
There is absolutely no proof that Sprint will not have a debt tied to a device (now or future), just like how T-Mobile handles it... regardless of your account status.
(10-02-2015 09:06 PM)deathtrip Wrote: [ -> ]There is absolutely no proof that Sprint will not have a debt tied to a device (now or future), just like how T-Mobile handles it... regardless of your account status.

Well, that's not necessarily a fact. Past business practice, even if it's not a policy, may dictate what they can and cannot do without announcing a future change in their policy. For instance, Sprint couldn't legally retroactively block every phone from their network tomorrow that has some bill attached to if from the original purchaser. Not only it would it be suicide for their company, but they wouldn't be able to legally do it. Based on past company policy they have established an expectation from consumers that it won't happen. When T-Mobile began blocking phones is when they introduced their new financing plans. They established the policy immediately and have consistently applied it. To say Sprint can do whatever they want, at any time is foolishness, and simply not true. .. I stand by my original post regarding the importance of removing the phone from your account before it's closed. It won't currently be blocked, and this applies to any type of plans sprint currently has. They haven't adopted any other policy or practice.
Sprint can, and has blocked new devices that were purchased and swapped out before letting the account drop or goto collection.

I've seen Sprint block these devices personally, especially back when the ability to migrate SPCS devices to PLBL was becoming wildly popular.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's