CheckESNFree - Forum
Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - Printable Version

+- CheckESNFree - Forum (http://checkesnfree.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Providers (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Verizon (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen (/showthread.php?tid=566)

Pages: 1 2

Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - AllCellular - 08-17-2013 10:25 AM

There appears to be a disconnect when it comes to LTE phones showing clean on this site as well as with Verizon customer service and the actual status of the device.

As a re-seller I purchased a Verizon Galaxy SIII and checked out (and still shows) clean on this site. Verizon also adamantly assured me the phone was not reported lost or stolen. I then sold the phone to someone and it worked fine, placed a test call, and looked all good. Well she came back the next day saying it was lost or stolen and that she went to a Verizon store and even upon trying a new SIM card it still wouldn't work and they told her it was lost or stolen. She brings it back and this site and the Verizon rep again are telling me it is clean. I spoke with the rep for over 30 minutes trying to figure out what happened and all she could really tell me was the phone is not reported lost of stolen with 100% certainty.

However after doing some research the LTE devices will only come up as lost or stolen once an active SIM is in the phone, so if your checking it and it doesn't have an ACTIVE sim in the phone at the time of the check or call to Verizon it will show clean even though it is not.

This is a huge problem for any Verizon 4G phone buyer.

Maybe there should be a disclaimer on this site when a Verizon LTE ESN/IMEI is run... It's costing many people $$$$

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - deathtrip - 08-17-2013 11:28 AM

The issue has nothing to do with this site. We report exactly what Verizon says when the device is checked.

If you read the Verizon section you can see people complaining about the way Verizon handles LTE devices when checking them.

As for your claim about the status when an active SIM is inserted or not is false. That isn't how Verizon works.

Also, did you check both the MEID and the IMEI? Did you try an active Verizon SIM?

Do you know if the customer is even doing anything accurately? There could be a number of reasons why things aren't working for the customer other than the ESN status.

Also, setting up a poll for your question is a little unwanted so I've removed it.

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - AllCellular - 08-17-2013 01:20 PM

I fell I have done everything in my power to check if this phone is clean or not. Including 3 calls to Verizon with conflicting information, checking on this site under the verizon esn check and IMEI blacklist checker. And I still don't know 100% is this phone is clear or not.

If this site shows exactly what Verizon says then how is it that at the same time I'm on the phone with Verizon they are telling me it is reported lost or stolen this site says its clean? Then I call back 30 minutes later and a different rep say adamantly it is clean, yet it can't be activated with a new sim from a Verizon store.

You say: "As for your claim about the status when an active SIM is inserted or not is false. That isn't how Verizon works."

How does it work then?

That's what another thread here states.

I don't have an active Verizon SIM to check with.

No I don't know if customer service is doing everything accurately since I got 2 different answers however the last person I talked to for 30 min was very sure of herself and seemed to know what she way talking about and sad it was clear, yet it cant be activated...

The more information I receive the less clear it is what is really going on.

Maybe you can shed some light on this, something clear and concise to stop the confusion.

I can provide you the IMEI if you would like.

Every time I call its a different story, so I don't know what to do with this phone or how to be certain these types of phones are ever clear in the future.

Here's the IMEI, I'm very confused with this one. I'd love to hear your opinion.

Here's the post I was referencing about the SIM:

"Death,

I dont mean to bring up an old thread dude but this is becoming much more widespread.. these phones arent coming up as lost or stolen UNTIL an active LTE SIM is put in them.. Every Verizon rep will tell you its clean, your site will say its clean and even Verizons device eligibility website will say its clean.."

And this:

"The techs at Verizon said it was clean. I told them to hold on so I could put my sim card in. After 2 minutes, she says "Ok, it was just flagged as lost stolen. My sim would not work in either my razr Maxx or the s3."

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - AllCellular - 08-17-2013 02:31 PM

After another lengthy conversation with Verizon I was told repeatedly the SIM card needs to be in the phone and checked along with the phone IMEI in order to verify if the phone is blacklisted or not. If there is no SIM card it will show as clean until the SIM card is in the phone.

I have quoted 2 other posts with the same experience so your statement: "As for your claim about the status when an active SIM is inserted or not is false. That isn't how Verizon works." is false.

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - deathtrip - 08-17-2013 03:13 PM

First off, you came here claiming that Verizon continuously told you the device was clean, as did this site.

Next you claim that Verizon told you it was lost or stolen, but that the only way to know it's lost or stolen is to have an active SIM card in the phone.

Then you claim you have not put an active SIM card in the phone, but that you were told it's lost or stolen... without an active SIM...?

So which is it? Verizon CAN or CAN NOT tell you that the device is lost or stolen with or without an active SIM?

According to Verizon's API the device has a clean IMEI.

What you should do is take it to a Verizon store, tell them you just bought it and need to make sure it's not lost or stolen. Tell them your story, and have someone there put a SIM card in it and test it out.

And, considering I started this site, and the entire ESN check process in the USA nearly 4 years ago... I think I know a thing or two when it comes to how some things work.

Smile

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - CharlesJ - 09-28-2013 04:14 PM

Sorry to be a first time poster chiming in on this subject but, I was googling this issue and stumbled upon this thread.

Heres what happened to me today. I have a VZW S3 in my possesion at the moment that I bought off my wife's coworker. The phone show as legit using both this sites checker and ******** (I had it listed there too. I have more to say on that shortly) I even activated it and placed a single test call to verify it's functionality. After which I switched back to my Bionic assuming that it was fine if it placed a call. My line however was suspended. I thought at the time that I might have pissed off the VZW system by swapping devices so quickly.

I also had this device listed on craigslist where I had someone try to buy it from me in person today. So, we go to the store and get him a new sim because his device is so old it does not even have one. Upon activating it with a sim card (fresh card activated in store) it suspends his line as well and the phone starts showing up to the rep as stolen/lost listed. I am mortified because this is my business here and now my integrity is tied to a stolen phone transaction.

You are assuring us that this is not how it works but you are not going into much detail as to why it is not. I am more inclined to believe the OP as it just happened to me too. He says he did not have an active sim but I do and when I got home and tested it again. The second call was a no go and my line was suspended yet again.

Kind sir, what say you?

You saying you know how it works and not elaborating any is just not very nice especially since you claim to be the all knowing ESN guru of the USA. Don't act so insulted that we are questioning you especially with such vague retorts to the OP.

Hell, if you give me 10 minutes warning, I will even put my own Sim in the damn thing so you can check it both ways, with and without the SIM and we can settle this once and for all like true trouble shooters.

Edit: also, I brought this up in my ******** thread and it was censored. so, it appears this is not something folks promoting online ESN checkers are even interested in discussing. your ellaborate response would go along way to assuage mine and others weariness now on buying VZW phones privately...

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - deathtrip - 09-28-2013 06:01 PM

Before I go too deep into this, tell me, did you check both the MEID and the IMEI? Do BOTH show that the device is clean?

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - CharlesJ - 09-29-2013 07:52 AM

(09-28-2013 06:01 PM)deathtrip Wrote:  Before I go too deep into this, tell me, did you check both the MEID and the IMEI? Do BOTH show that the device is clean?

First off, thank you for the reply!

Second, the MEID is the number on my sim card right?

I do not see an MEID anywhere on the physical info for the device behind the battery and the status page does not have one listed either. Is that because I do not have my sim card in at the moment? If the MEID is in fact the sim cards id number, then I have checked the MEID by default because it is in fact working on my current line right now. It is my personal SIM that I am testing with now. I let the customer keep the nice new shiny SIM that was clean as a consolation for wasting his time yesterday.

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - deathtrip - 09-29-2013 08:11 AM

No, the MEID is the IMEI minus the last digit.

So your phone will have a 15 digit IMEI and after removing the last digit will give you the 14 digit MEID.

If both the IMEI and the MEID show clean, then there seems to be an issue on Verizon's end with their reporting of the device status.

RE: Verizon LTE Devices Clean Here and With Verizon But Actually Lost or Stolen - CharlesJ - 09-29-2013 08:52 AM

(09-29-2013 08:11 AM)deathtrip Wrote:  No, the MEID is the IMEI minus the last digit.

So your phone will have a 15 digit IMEI and after removing the last digit will give you the 14 digit MEID.

If both the IMEI and the MEID show clean, then there seems to be an issue on Verizon's end with their reporting of the device status.

I just ran the IMEI minus the last digit and it shows clean.

It sounds like it is time for you to put a disclaimer on the front page regarding this. It would at least differentiate you from those folks over at ******** who know this is an issue, censor topics, and avoid discussing it with the public for fear that it will mean less seller fee's in their pockets.

It would make you the honest site and ******** the dishonest one. I think competition wise that would be a good differentiation to have don't you?

edit: I am pm'ing you my imei so you can confirm i am not some troll douche from another site.