Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New iPhone question/conern
10-11-2012, 07:33 PM
First, thanks for the site, it is a huge help.

I am wondering something and cannot find an answer here or searching the internet.

Say I buy a brand new CDMA Verizon phone that is not on someones account and not on the lost or stolen list when I buy it....verified on this site and by calling Verizon.

Once I pay and take off, can the person that sold me the phone then call Verizon with just the MEID and S/N and either activate it for their line and/or report it as lost or stolen?

I am new to this and a bit paranoid after a deal I did last week.

Thanks!

Brian

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2012, 08:08 PM
They could, and then they could receive the insurance replacement for the phone, thus leaving them with money and a new phone.

Unfortunately, it's going to always be a gamble when it comes to cell phones.

10-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Where does it end?

If I sell this phone to a customer, they activate it on their line....the person who sold it to me can later still report it lost or stolen?

10-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I don't really know, that all depends on their procedure.

12-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Please help! I am new here, and obviously pretty stupid after tonight. I just bought an Iphone 4s for Verizon off a guy from Craig's list. Paid the money got the phone. Went home to activate by calling Verizon. Called the guy right away and he kept hanging up on me. Finally my husband called from his line and he picked up. Then when my husband said you just sold my wfe the bad Iphone he hung up. We texted him a few time, he finally replied and said he would call bet never did. Then I texted him if this isn't fixed I would file a polie reprt. He then said he would TRY to get the account holder to deactivate it . Then nothing since. I got his name from reverse phone lookup and texted him with his name and asked him to make this right. then he said I stole his phone. Unfortunately for him I have all the phone records, text messages and the original Craigs list posting. Verizon told me they could not activate bcause according to the MEID it belongs on another account. I verified the MEID here and it says Bad ESN. Have I been duped? I really love this phone and want to activate i. Do you think I will have better luck at the store? I hope I wasn't scammed. Is there any way to get the phone activated?

12-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Well, you can try to file a police report but I dunno if it would do any good. It would probably be considered a civil matter, meaning you'd have to sue him in open/small-claims court.

Sorry for your bad luck, unfortunately it happens too often.

06-21-2013, 02:14 AM
I hope I wasn't scammed. Is there any way to get the phone activated?
Yes you were scammed, ouch.Huh

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)