Register

IMEI Blacklist Database is now live!
02-26-2013, 12:26 PM
As the title states, the IMEI Blacklist database is now live.

However, there are a few things that might not please most of you.

Per the requirements of the carriers and the global GSM association, only IMEIs registered as "lost/stolen" AFTER October 31st 2012 on T-Mobile and AT&T are listed in the US blacklist database.

This may change down the road to include all blacklisted devices, but currently it is as mentioned above.

With that said, any device blacklisted before October 31st 2012 on AT&T may still be used on T-Mobile, and vise-verse.

Another big announcement will be coming in the next week regarding CheckESNFree.com and a public lost/stolen device registry, so stay tuned.

Remember, this is currently only active for T-Mobile USA, and AT&T + MVNOs that report to the IMEI Blacklist!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Any idea how Tmobile's "lease" system is going to affect this? I've seen some phones that were blocked but not reported as lost or stolen. The phone was purchased on Tmobile's monthly plan. When the customer quit paying, Tmobile blocked them. Anybody have a solution/ideas for checking these?

02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Not sure how that will be handled. Did this happen after October 31st 2012?

02-26-2013, 01:55 PM
i just had a mangasm because of this Big Grin

02-26-2013, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 02:19 PM by sellphoneworld.)
DeathTrip, what the stryd3r has asked is very important to a professional resellers like ourselves. People sell us phones such as Samsung Galaxy S3 and Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from T-Mobile. These are expensive devices to buy for the full retail price. So people usually buy them through the contract. And as you are probably aware, T-Mobile can block them for an outstanding balance or an early termination. We need to know if these devices would show up on the Blacklist. Thank you. This forum has been much help to our company.
P.S. I wish we could clear up the situation around Sprint too..It's a freaking mess. They should just copy Verizon's ESNcheck system entirely.. so far it's the best there is. A pleasure to work with!

My bad, I was reffering to stjames22's question..

02-26-2013, 03:44 PM
(02-26-2013 12:26 PM)deathtrip Wrote:  As the title states, the IMEI Blacklist database is now live.

Per the requirements of the carriers and the global GSM association, only IMEIs registered as "lost/stolen" AFTER October 31st 2012 on T-Mobile and AT&T are listed in the US blacklist database.
currently it is as mentioned above.

This may change down the road to include all blacklisted devices, but
With that said, any device blacklisted before October 31st 2012 on AT&T may still be used on T-Mobile, and vise-verse.

Another big announcement will be coming in the next week regarding CheckESNFree.com and a public lost/stolen device registry, so stay tuned.

Remember, this is currently only active for T-Mobile USA, and AT&T + MVNOs that report to the IMEI Blacklist!

02-26-2013, 05:41 PM
I am throwing cash at the computer screen right now.

Awesome job!

02-26-2013, 05:51 PM
(02-26-2013 12:26 PM)deathtrip Wrote:  As the title states, the IMEI Blacklist database is now live.

This may change down the road to include all blacklisted devices, but currently it is as mentioned above.

So, if I read this correct:

Then there really is no point to unlocking phones anymore. That is, bad ESN or blacklisted phones. The only phones that will be good to be unlocked are ones that the accounts are fully closed/payed out on?

Any idea how this will affect blackberry, or the unlock for the note 2/SIII that can be accessed within the phone's software?

02-26-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm not involved in the unlocking scene really so I can't comment.

However, the whole point of the Blacklist database is to prevent the buying and selling of lost or stolen devices. So, if you have a device that just has an unpaid ETF or account balance, it shouldn't prevent the device from being used again either on the home network, or on a different network. However, these rules can always change when it comes to the home network.

If a device is flagged as stolen on AT&T, it will no longer be usable on T-Mobile, and soon, any GSM network that operates under the rules of the GSM Association.

02-27-2013, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 02:03 AM by kalikiano.)
I'm not sure if this blacklist-check system works yet or works correctly... I just tried AT&T IMEI and it shows that is not blacklisted, but I already called AT&T in person and they said it IS blacklisted, I just tried checkesnfree.com to see what will it say. This is for AT&T iPhone 5. Are you saying that it was maybe blacklisted before Oct. 31st so that's why it shows as not being blacklisted or?