Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Straight Talk w/ AT&T Still getting Top Speeds?
08-03-2013, 09:14 AM
I've been using straight talk for about two years now, first with an AT&T iPhone 4 and now with an iPhone 5.

Now that they have switched from being AT&T compatible and unlocked to only T Mobile compatible and unlocked, does this mean that I am now receiving less than optimal speeds than before?

I have the speedtest app, but I have no benchmarks from before when they switched it over.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference in service...

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2013, 09:20 AM
No.

I personally have the HTC One on a Straight Talk AT&T SIM and get great speeds in HSPA+ areas.

If you're still on the AT&T SIM, you're still on the AT&T network.

I'm still using the att.mvno APN too.

08-05-2013, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 06:12 AM by TravisSanders.)
Google (Straight talk "class action lawsuit") for more info.
With straight talks unlimited data plans you are actually severely limited. They have no set numbers or marks or limits officially posted. They simply say at their discretion they can do what ever they want when ever they want and if you don't like it F off.

I have had the att sim card with straight talk for a year. My speeds are the same. Except now they have lower limits. If you use lots of data in one day they will slow you down to 2G (60kbps down vs 10,000kbps down) speed but your phone will still show 4g or h+. If this happens your upload speed may still be the same (fast). Its called throttled. Once your throttled it stays throttled until you pay for another term of service AND call them to ask them to unthrottle you. This will typically happen if you use 200 to 400MB in a day. Or if you use more then 1,500MB in a service month. I know because this happens to me.

The original limit was 5,000 a month then 3,000 now 1,500. As of now if you prepay for a 6 month or 12 month term and you get throttled your $%#@&% for the rest of that term but I have not herd of anyone trying to call in to get unthrottled after 30 days have passed. I wonder...

You may or may not get a text or call warning you to use less data or else you will get throttled. Some times I am not warned.

In there terms they promise to warn you and give you a chance to stop using so much data before the cut off your phone entirely from voice text and data. If this happens you may not be able to get your phone number back, Im not sure on this because no one that this has happened to has posted such info.
AT&T's data was being bogged down from all the straight talk users and they did not like it so there are no longer any new AT&T sim cards being manufactured for new straight talk user's.

There t-mobile sim card is rumored to have a 2GB limit of fast data then reduced with no threat of being cut off entirely.

There Sprint side is rumored to have no limit. Sprints speeds are already slow anyway.

There Verizon side has some limits but Im not sure what they are.

Your speeds may actually increase because there will be less and less straight talk users on the AT&T sim card over time. Congestion will be less also as ATT upgrades there system. On the flip side ATT new prepaid plans are cheaper then before and that could offset some of this.

08-05-2013, 06:34 AM
That isn't entirely true...

I mean, net10 is the same company and they're still selling AT&T sims for their BYOP program.

08-05-2013, 06:55 AM
(08-05-2013 06:34 AM)deathtrip Wrote:  That isn't entirely true...

I mean, net10 is the same company and they're still selling AT&T sims for their BYOP program.

Yes I find that very strange. I bought 20 of those net 10 sim cards in hopes they will soon sell for $100 each on ebay like the straight talk sims are. You could turn $500 at $0.30 each into $166,000.00

I bet they would sell for even more because ther was no longer this other option. Actually there are plenty of others I know of. But Net 10/Straight Talk is the big player.

08-05-2013, 07:17 AM
I bought 25 net10 cards for $0.50 each on Amazon. I still have some ST AT&T cards but they're going quickly between friends and family.

You CAN get ST AT&T sims still by calling ST and telling them your SIM is not being accepted or isn't working anymore. They'll send you one for free. Just make sure you have an old AT&T SIM number to give them so they can verify it.

08-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I know you can get ST AT&T sims by calling ST like you said but wouldn't they have a note on there file so that only your phone number be used with that new sim card? I have not tried it before have you?

08-05-2013, 09:45 AM
I've received several SIMs doing what I described above. The system doesn't have a limitation to which account the SIM can be used on.

Usually just call up, tell them you got a SIM that the website won't let you activate. They'll ask for the SIM number, tell them one of a bad SIM, expired SIM, or give them one with the last number changed on it. They'll attempt it on their end and once they see it fails, they'll send you a new one.

Mine come from some Straight Talk facility in Indiana so they're usually here next day.

08-05-2013, 06:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2013 06:33 PM by TravisSanders.)
[quote='deathtrip' pid='1794' dateline='1375717538']
I've received several SIMs doing what I described above. The system doesn't have a limitation to which account the SIM can be used on.

Usually just call up, tell them you got a SIM that the website won't let you activate. They'll ask for the SIM number, tell them one of a bad SIM, expired SIM, or give them one with the last number changed on it. They'll attempt it on their end and once they see it fails, they'll send you a new one.

Mine come from some Straight Talk facility in Indiana so they're usually here next day.
[/quote]

So when I call in will I be expected to pay for a month of service in order to be successful at getting a ATT sim card this way?

[quote=

[/quote]

I just tried. I called and tried to activate a new line of service in the byop department. I gave them the BYOP sim number of my old Portland Oregon phone number from August 2012. They said it wont work and transferred me to some kind of resolutions department. And then they said that sim number is not working She asked where I bough it. I said eBay. Then she said its not in our database sorry you will have to obtain a sim card with a valid sim number. She said it is possible that my sim card is not a BYOP sim or it is not a straight talk sim number at all.

Talk about having a service card pin or being ready to pay for a month with a visa did not come up. Except in the recordings before I was allowed to talk to any one is said it would be required to complete the activation proses and told me to have the info ready.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)