Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Accidentally assigned #?
08-07-2013, 05:00 AM
So I'm not sure what I actually did here, so I don't know how to undo it.

I obtained an iPhone colleague in Florida with the intent to sell it on eBay. When I checked the ESN here, I got the 'CallCheck' message.

So I found an old post on eBay of another way to check ESNs by checking to see whether you could activate it as a prepaid cell phone.

I followed that procedure, and according to it, the phone was clean. So I listed the phone on eBay and it sold. Prior to shipping it, I plugged it in to charge it up and reset it, and it started getting text messages from Verizon, saying 'Welcome to Verizon! Your unlimited Talk Text and data plan connects you to the net work for a payment of $70 or more each month'

And there is now a local phone # assigned to the phone. So even though I didn't fill out the form on the Verizon site, didn't give any info other than my zipcode, it looks like it assigned a # and activated it? After that first message, I got another saying I needed to add money to the account.

I am NOT a Verizon customer, so I haven't been able to get assistance from them. I had my buyer contact Verizon to check the ESN, and the buyer advised that Verizon said the phone was assigned to another account and she couldn't activate it.

So how do I undo what I did??

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 09:10 AM
If you went to the Verizon Wireless Prepaid Activation page and entered your ESN and selected a ZIP Code, it automatically creates an account for you at that moment.

The page has this notification on it...

Important! Once you click "Continue", do not exit the page or close the browser window until you receive your new wireless number.

But, the callCheck means, CALL VERIZON AND VERIFY DIRECTLY... which is what you should have done. Sad

You will now have to wait for the account to expire. You can call Verizon and try to get them to help you. Just tell them you were trying to set it up on Prepaid but decided to just sell the phone afterall.

Tell them you need to remove it from that account so you can sell it. They might be able to help you since you never completed any steps after that, especially since you didn't add any money to it.

08-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Why would they create an account for someone who may or may not be a customer? I never signed in, don't have an account? Oh well, I guess that is their business model. I don't have a Verizon account and have never had one, so they are less than helpful when I call to try to verify ESN numbers.

How long does for an account to expire?

08-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Create an account? You went to the prepaid activations page. You entered the ESN and selected an area code. They didn't create anything, you did.

Their system says it is going to setup an account when you enter the info it asks for. It didnt preform an ESN check for you, that's not what the prepaid activations page does.

08-17-2013, 07:25 PM
(08-08-2013 11:53 PM)deathtrip Wrote:  Create an account? You went to the prepaid activations page. You entered the ESN and selected an area code. They didn't create anything, you did.

Their system says it is going to setup an account when you enter the info it asks for. It didnt preform an ESN check for you, that's not what the prepaid activations page does.

Let me rephrase my question. I gave them the ESN and a zipcode, but nothing else, no name, no address, no credit card info, I'm surprised they would set up an account and lock the ESN to a phone # without any identifying information from me.

So how long will this account be active before the ESN is clean?

08-17-2013, 09:51 PM
I think it's 90 days.

But as I said, all it takes is the zip and esn, as it shows on the site.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)