Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ATT Broken Contract - Fraud blocking
12-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Does anybody know if ATT blocks phones due to non-payment the way T-Mobile does with their financed phones?

I have received so many conflicting answers from various people, even within ATT that I have no idea what the correct answer is.

I am not talking about reported lost-stolen, I know those get blocked from the IMEI blacklist. I am strictly talking an internal block at ATT the way T-Mobile does for non-payment, unfulfilled contract.

Any ATT insider people here know the correct answer?

Many thanks for the great website and help.

b

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2013, 11:13 AM
I have been told AT&T does NOT block phones for non payment however I haven't ever ran into a situation where I would be able to find out for sure.

Just a few days ago an AT&T rep told me they use it on or against your credit and not against the device.

The only 100% real way to know is when you come across a phone that isn't blacklisted but still won't work on AT&T's network.

12-29-2013, 12:23 PM
(12-29-2013 11:13 AM)deathtrip Wrote:  I have been told AT&T does NOT block phones for non payment however I haven't ever ran into a situation where I would be able to find out for sure.

Just a few days ago an AT&T rep told me they use it on or against your credit and not against the device.

The only 100% real way to know is when you come across a phone that isn't blacklisted but still won't work on AT&T's network.

That was always my understanding too. But lately I have heard if somebody signs up and doesn't keep the account active for 3 months, they flag it as fraud and block the phone.

I am gun shy to sell any ATT or T-Mobile phone because of the potential for blocking 2 months down the road. I know T-Mobile has visibility on their IMEI checker for Blocked and Financed phones, and you have that now too. ATT is just a big question.

Thanks!

12-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately it's going to take some changes to make everything work in a way to protect everyone.

Personally, I'd copy a sellers drivers license when buying any cell phone in the event it winds up being reported stolen after the sale. Then prosecute them for fraud if it does.

12-31-2013, 06:18 PM
(12-29-2013 11:02 AM)1971DART Wrote:  Does anybody know if ATT blocks phones due to non-payment the way T-Mobile does with their financed phones?

I have received so many conflicting answers from various people, even within ATT that I have no idea what the correct answer is.

I am not talking about reported lost-stolen, I know those get blocked from the IMEI blacklist. I am strictly talking an internal block at ATT the way T-Mobile does for non-payment, unfulfilled contract.

b

Yes AT&T will block a phone for non payment I have seen this happen more than 50 times as i own a phone store so i run across this a lot. People try to unlock there device to use another carrier like t-mobile but it never gets singal as it says phone blocked from network.

12-31-2013, 11:56 PM
Umm, it doesnt exactly work that way.

Give me an IMEI for a "blocked non-payment" phone.

01-06-2014, 05:00 PM
(12-29-2013 11:02 AM)1971DART Wrote:  Does anybody know if ATT blocks phones due to non-payment the way T-Mobile does with their financed phones?

b

I can say for certain that At&t does block some phone, but it is rare. I can tell you however, I have come across two devices out of many, that when you insert the sim card, it will make one call, then after the call, it will give a message saying the number on your sim card is temporarily disabled, and this will happen with any AT&T sim card that you put into the phone and make a call. So yes, it's happened to me, but not very often.

01-08-2014, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 02:48 PM by kalliwinter.)
(12-29-2013 11:13 AM)deathtrip Wrote:  I have been told AT&T does NOT block phones for non payment however I haven't ever ran into a situation where I would be able to find out for sure.

I am having this exact problem. I have an AT&T phone that has been unlocked and used by T-Mobile. I called T-Mobile they said it was lost or stolen, but it is not showing on the blacklist. Why wont it work for AT&T, i thought maybe they blocked it for some reason??

(01-08-2014 02:46 PM)kalliwinter Wrote:  

I am having this exact problem. I have an AT&T phone that has been unlocked and used by T-Mobile. I called T-Mobile they said it was lost or stolen, but it is not showing on the blacklist. Why wont it work for AT&T, i thought maybe they blocked it for some reason??

I also unlocked the phone again and it let me place one call then it never worked again and it wont take an At&T signal and I know my SIM card works fine. Please Help! Anyone!

01-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Can you or anyone PM me the IMEI of a non-Blacklisted AT&T device, that is "blocked" on AT&T ?

08-27-2014, 07:39 PM
any more updates on this question? I fear that I may have just bought a phone that the contract holder is in going to home contract

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)