Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ESN Check Guide
03-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi All,

New here and I have searched around but can't seem to find a simple guide to buying a used Verizon phone. I figured it would be a sticky somewhere but I can't find it, sorry for the n00b status.

Here is my question: I am buying a phone for my girlfriend (probably used Verizon iPhone 4s). I want to buy it now and wrap it and surprise her with it later. How do I know that the phone is good to go and completely clean?

Couldn't the person just sell it before it was reported stolen, or report it stolen themselves after selling it to me?

How am I supposed to be diligent about this, is there any process to cover all my bases or is this a risk I just have to take when buying a used Verizon phone?

All help is appreciated,
Ozan

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Your best bet is to buy from a source where you have buyer protections in place, such as eBay. Make sure the seller states clearly the phone has a clear ESN. Even if they do, still ask for it for your own double checking purposes PRIOR to purchasing the phone.

Once you receive the phone, proceed to activate it. If you run into issues with the ESN after you purchase it, try to work it out with the seller. If the seller doesn't cooperate, you have 30 days with eBay and PayPal to dispute the transaction.

As a side note: Paying with a credit card (not a debit card) via PayPal's website adds a third layer of protection as you can dispute the charge if PayPal/eBay isn't helpful or an issue comes up outside of the 30 day window.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)